Waikiki Beach Safety Tips
Beach Safety Tips
- Read and obey all beach warning signs and posted rules.
- All beaches in Hawaii are open to the public. Most have no lifeguards on duty, therefore you swim at your own risk. Be careful at all times.
- Do not leave valuables in your car or on the beach unattended.
- Watch your children closely at all times.
- Most beaches have reefs close to shore. Take care when walking on them so as not to damage reef life or yourself as reefs have sharp edges that cut easily.
- Watch out for "wana" (sea urchin) which looks like a black pin cushion and is found living in pockets in the reef.
- Unless you are an experienced swimmer you should not go beyond the "barrier reef" and into open ocean, either swimming or in a kayak.
- Look for posted jellyfish warning signs. Jellyfish usually arrive 7 days after a full moon and will last for a couple of days each month. Usually a box jelly fish sting is not fatal in Hawaii. Most often it is just a sting and nothing more. In Australia, box jellyfish can be deadly and many visitors think the same is true for Hawaii.
- Unless you are an experienced swimmer avoid going into the ocean where there are strong currents, dangerous surf conditions and heavy winds.
- Always apply a quality sunscreen with a SPF rating of 8 or above before going out in the intense Hawaiian sun. The sun screen you use should say on the bottle that it protects against UVA and UVB sun rays. Sun screens containing titanium dioxide usually will meet this requirement. Always reapply the sun screen after swimming. Always protect young children with sun screen
- Always wear a quality pair of sun glasses with Polaroid lens when you are in the direct Hawaiian sun.
Always practice Safe Sun!
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- About Waikiki Beach Activities
Waikiki Beach Activities (WBA). Our name says it all. Since the late 80's WBA has grown to be one of the largest beach services in Waikiki. Our home is in the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa, the largest beach resort in the Pacific and it is truly a village on the beach that is the home of Duke Paoa Kahanamoku, the father of International Surfing and the Official Ambassador of Aloha. Our motto is Safety, Service and Sales. More...
- Reserve Now! - Activities Reservation Form
RESERVE NOW! Book your activity, tour and lessons today! Reservations are secured on a first come, first serve basis. Get your request today,
- Photo Gallery & Video Gallery
View some photos of our facilities and activities.
- Beach Activity Packages
Have beach party right at the beach!
- Beach Activities, Tours, Lessons
View a list of different types of beach activities we offer
- Beach Equipment, Beach Umbrellas & Lounges Rental
View a list of different types of beach equipment we offer
- Waikiki Beach Activities Testimonials
Here is what some of our customers have to say.